View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 04, 2021 at 06:53 PM

Most people I know haven't dismissed me. All the dismissive ones I have met are psychiatrists.

One particular psychiatrist I met for a consultation wanted to refer me for a neurological assessment for suspected temporal lobe epilepsy. I refused, since I had one done about a decade earlier at a hospital. After that he got hostile with me and started talking about a staff psychiatrist that I dealt with while at a children's hospital (that place was horrible). He suddenly asked me how many times I was admitted to hospital. His words were, "15, 20, 25 times?" I could not believe what I just heard. His behavior was inappropriate and repulsive. I told him that I didn't want to complete the consultation and left before the 50 minutes were up.

I realized, I met this man while he was a resident in 1994. If I had recognized his name in Oct 2006, I would have never allowed my family doctor to refer me to him.

My doctor was stunned when I reported my experience with this psychiatrist. I told her that he was extremely rude. It probably had to do with the misdiagnosis from that children's hospital and my interaction with him when I was there.

Now I am very careful who I reveal my history to. Doctors have to earn my trust.

Hugs from:
RoxanneToto