Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,879 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 05, 2021 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace14 View Post
I found out most of the information from continuing to search on everyone involved. It can be quiet complex since some of the names, mostly first and last, could take on different spellings depending on locations. Date of births are lots of times estimates. Not everyone had a death certificate. I would like to get the DNA test for ovarian cancer since that does run in the family.

Sometimes there is information on what ships they came in on or what settlements they were a part of when they landed. It was interesting how the immigrants often had to sell themselves into slavery to pay for their trips to America. How the Irish were used as slaves mostly in the Northern USA.

I have the full access plan which is kind of pricey but once I get to a place where I'm satisfied with what I know about my family I will cancel it.

Another interesting point is who served in the civil war. With most of my relatives being from the NC area ,there were relatives on the Confederate and Union side of the war.
It’s so hard due to the names being different than we knew them to be. For us, we thought their names were what they were here in America. But found out that those names were assigned to them at Ellis Island. Somehow my mom and aunt figured out their names with correct spelling from the old country. (In America the names ended with -witz, but in Europe they were -icci and this was the same pronunciation).

It’s sad they came as slaves or indentured servants. Mine were just dumped onto the streets of NY. For you to learn about yours being in the Civil War is so interesting. Brothers against brothers from the north and south!

Keep us posted. It’s so interesting to learn about this!

Hugs from:
Trace14, Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Trace14, Travelinglady