Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2014
2,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 05, 2021 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
It’s so hard due to the names being different than we knew them to be. For us, we thought their names were what they were here in America. But found out that those names were assigned to them at Ellis Island. Somehow my mom and aunt figured out their names with correct spelling from the old country. (In America the names ended with -witz, but in Europe they were -icci and this was the same pronunciation).

It’s sad they came as slaves or indentured servants. Mine were just dumped onto the streets of NY. For you to learn about yours being in the Civil War is so interesting. Brothers against brothers from the north and south!

Keep us posted. It’s so interesting to learn about this!
add to the fact that most couldn't read or write, or speak English it's a wonder we have the information that we do. There were no records of birth, or birth dates given as approx. dates. But thankfully people contribute to sites like Ancestry.com that give a little more information about families. There are other places and sites that you can try, especially for the more recent relatives. It's ideal if someone has a family Bible with family members listed. I would like to find out more about my DNA connection to the Bantu people in Cameroon Africa. But that will take some serious research since it was so long ago.

"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Travelinglady