View Single Post
Toughcooki

Member Since Jul 2020
247 hugs
given
Default Mar 05, 2021 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I am a veteran too and using the VA system. In the past had no difficulty getting therapy. However I thought it was my clinic that had the therapy problems for going to short term therapy styles and pushing groups instead of individual therapy the past few years. Now I am wondering if it's the whole VA system that's screwed up. Not everyone does well with short term therapy. Once again, are they trying to make a "one size fits everybody" mentality???? I have been really angry at my clinic over this therapy limitation stuff.

Now I may be very angry at the VA system. Other than this, and for the past approximately 4 years I have had excellent care from the VA.

I don't know what to advise you. Maybe push for VA paid therapy outside of the VA? I forget what program that is called.
@neverending I think the short term therapy thing is new. Stupid if you ask me. But apparently they did a study and found that most veterans benefited most from 8-12 weeks of therapy, and veterans who don't benefit from 12 weeks are out in the cold. of course all veterans have different levels of PTSD, and all veterans are PEOPLE aka human beings and different, not cookie cutter models of GI-Joe/Jane, but hey, that's the VA. I get a lot of my medical treatment through the community care program, but the VA will only pay for what they agree with. "approved therapy" is 12 weeks regardless of which dr sees you.
I think I'll just have to go with outside therapy. Thank you for your response, I'm sorry to see other veterans are dealing with this as well -but also kind of not sorry because now I see that I'm not the only one dealing with this, if that makes any sense. I mentioned it to my senator's office after the last T dropped me at the 12 week mark, and they said they have nothing to do with mental health policies. I'd think that they'd be more worried about it, but no.
Toughcooki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote