Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2014
375 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 10, 2021 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydid View Post
So I think that a therapist should absolutely be available via phone and e-mail if needed. I guess upon reflection I wasn't clear how I would define "out of session contact." When it becomes problematic is if it's content that's related to the actual business of therapy. Would I allow it? Maybe, I have a few years before I begin practicing before I figure that out. But whatever I decide I would make my concerns explicitly clear with my client if and when it came up, and I would make sure to have that conversation before any therapy-related contact took place. But if you're trying to reschedule an appointment or ask a billing question, that's fine.
In my experience making clear the expectations clear up front is very important.

With long term T, I had never thought of outside contact as I was new to therapy. She one day told me to contacted her if I needed to. I discussed needing it too much. She said if it ever became an issue she would tell me. She normally answered my email very quickly. She was a workaholic and didn't have family.

With current T, I asked her about outside contact. She was new to private practice after working foe a clinic for 10 years where everything went through thr secretary. We discussed it. We talked about her concerns with it such as people reaching out making suicidal statements and her not receiving them in a timely manner. I told her out of all thd years I have been in therapy I have not and would not do that. She also said she is horrible about checking her phone...even her personal phone. So she couldn't guarantee when she would get the messages. When I brought up fears of bothering her she said of it became an issue we would talk about it. Also she mentioned the HIPAA issues.

Especially during the pandemic she has been bad at responding. Sometimes, it has taken days. Both she and her husband are working from home now caring for their 5 year old and the uncertainties of school.

nottrustin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight