Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 10, 2021 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackdog View Post
So, with only three therapy sessions left, my therapist has decided that we need to focus on my anxiety and has been trying to get me to do some visualisation/grounding exercises to try to help me calm myself.
BUT, I can't do them
The one I am supposed to be trying this week is to imagine a healing light from the universe entering through my head and spreading through my body etc. etc. etc. but I just can't. I can't imagine a light entering through my head, and I just end up feeling really self-conscious (even when I am alone) and ridiculous and then I get even more anxious because I can't do it.
They work to some extent in my therapy sessions, but I think that is mainly just the calming effect of my therapist's voice talking me through the process. She has sent me links to other guided exercises but they just don't work (I think because I feel safe with her and trust her, but random voices in a youtube video just don't have the same effect).

Am I just weird, with no imagination? I feel really stupid having to go back and tell her that I have failed again because the stupid exercises make me feel even more anxious/stressed
have you ever sat out in the sun or laid out on a warm sunny day. you know that feeling of warmth you get as the sun shines on your head. thats the image I use when someone asks me to imagine a light entering my head. I imagine laying out in the sun getting a suntan or just looking around while feeling the warm heat on my head of the sun. and how if I sit still long enough I can feel the sunshine not only warm one spot on my head but my whole scalp, hair and skin.

from there I focus in on that warm feeling and see if I can feel that feeling on my face, shoulders, arms and so forth down by body.

the reason I think about the sun with these exercises is because the sun ......is ...... part of the universe. the universe is the sun, stars, moon, planets, the whole solar system, the milky way and so on all the galaxies.
its the people here on earth that care and love me, its love, family, pleasure.

some people believe the moons gavity pull is what causes mood swings, tidal changes with the oceans and so on. some people believe there is a higher power and their loved ones watch over us...

my point is what ever you feel is your definition of universe imagine that love and warmth that your belief gives to you.

for me its nature, the sun ect...

maybe you can try this meditation by imagining the warmth of the sun or the moon or what ever your belief system is. it may help to get you started on doing this meditation exercise you are struggling with.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
littleblackdog, RoxanneToto