View Single Post
MrsA

Member Since Apr 2019
398 hugs
given
Default Mar 17, 2021 at 03:16 AM

It depends on the individual. I grew up in an abusive family and my parents and violent older sibling labeled me a psychopath to justify their bad tempers and violent actions. So I would be careful labeling a survivor with psychopathic traits because they were probably told at some point that they were bad or evil. But it is possible that some abuse victims already had the tendencies or developed it from the experience.

Another thing is that extreme experiences can make people express themselves in ways that shock "normal" people. Because I've dealt with real violence and a pedophile since I was 6 years old (and I'm pretty sure my big sister would have successfully murdered me 3-4 times if I had been a little slower or more unlucky), I am really realistic can be a bit blunt and impatient with people who act squeamish when talking about sex or violence and that can make some people say I'm crazy or psychopathic.

It is possible that some people develop dangerous mental health issues from abuse. So tread carefully and don't put any obvious labels or appear judgemental when you deal with this person.

Something that always offends me is when people who try to intervene claim to understand my feelings or situation better than I do (like insisting I have repressed feelings for a parent I couldn't care less about), so its best to assume you know nothing when you talk to them and proceed by acknowledging what they say about themselves.

I hope this is useful. Good luck.
MrsA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto