Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
3,826 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 20, 2021 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupe du jour View Post
My brother-in-law has had a long-term issue with what you describe. His fingers look awful and are even scarred from years of such intense picking. I agree with BethRags that it is surely either anxiety or some kind of negative coping mechanism. I think that many of us have some kind of negative coping mechanism. Mine have varied over the course of my life. A permanent sign of one I have had is extreme wear of my teeth from daytime bruxism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post

It's called "dermatillomania" and I've been doing it since I was a child. The only time I've been able to stop is when I've had artificial nails on, which I really don't like doing. But I've had them done at times just to stop the skin-picking habit (the fake nails prevent me from being able to scrape and pick my skin).

It is an anxiety response, yes.
Thank you Beth and Soupdejour! I have to agree that it is most likely a coping mechanism. Sometimes it hurts when I do it, but I feel so much better when I do. I'm going to take Beth's advice and get my nails done. First bc it will help me feel better about myself right now, also it's that self care I was self care I brought up earlier. And I need to get my hands looking better. I'm tired of the skin picking.

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Anonymous41462, Innerzone, Soupe du jour