Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,344 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 21, 2021 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbockajr View Post
I am more concerned the protocols and restriction created for covid will be applied to other viruses .ppl will end on constant fight or flight mode indefinitely.
I don't think governments would seek to do that for every variety of influenza floating around every winter. Annually, we do see loss of lives in the thousands just from garden variety flu. However, we don't see the healthcare system being overburdened to the breaking point, like has happened with COVID-19. I understand your concern. But I don't see that happening. I base that on how hard it's been to get compliance with - and broad political support for - COVID restrictions, which I think were warranted.

Where I think your fear may be more substantiated is in how long we're going to be dealing with COVID restrictions. My original post in this thread is partly about that. The vaccines may not prove all that long-lasting. Some experts say protection may start to wear off in 5 months. Meanwhile, new COVID variants are spreading that may require new vaccine formulations. This may get to where we're chasing our tail trying to suppress this pandemic. How long can we make huge economic sacrifices? Death in an ICU isn't the only way that lives can be ruined.

I can partially confirm your fear in very personal terms. I intend to mask up in public during the winter season for the rest of my life - even if COVID were eradicated. I've had pneumonia as an adult. I now fear getting even garden variety flu. Now that I see how effective precautions are in reducing germ spread, I see no reason to not self-protect against all respiratory illness, when I reasonably can. I'll never be comfortable getting into a crowded elevator again. I'm done shaking hands forever. Why risk picking up anything? That is my personal choice. I agree that this level of fastidiousness should not be government mandated, except during a pandemic like COVID-19. However, I do think social norms regarding infection-avoidance have ratcheded up, and a lot of that will be permanent. That could be a good thing.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
divine1966