Grand Member

Member Since Jan 2021
2,208 hugs
given
Default Mar 26, 2021 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
I had wanted to post in this thread
Constructing morals without empathybut it was considered too old so a mod made my post there into a a new topic, so I'll change the subject, too.

Does anyone have an opinion on how psychopathy is not considered a diagnosis outside forensic settings? Currently I'm only aware of callous/unemotional as an additional descriptor for the DSM under anti social personality disorder. I feel psychopaths do exist separately, but progress is slow because they have to sort through a population that has a lot of functional members (many psychopaths not strictly disordered). Unfortunately, the message we seem to get is as though only ASPD exist.
There's a book, "snakes in suits" about business psychopaths and there is a student of Robert Hare (Robert Hare invented the pcl-r) who does a lot of research on psychopathy outside of the criminal law setting. Maybe you should check it out

There are studies that deal with the distinction between ASPD and Psychopathy if I remember correctly. And there are scientists in that field that deal with it. It just doesn't make it in the DSM I guess, so your average psychologist/ psyvhiatrist/ therapist doen't work with it.
AliceKate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto