View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 27, 2021 at 03:45 AM

I agree with BethRags. Especially if you do not have a bipolar diagnosis, or maybe coexisting migraine headaches, or the like. Plus, for many Depakote is more an anti manic med than an antidepressant. It even worsened my depression leading me to call it "Depressakote". Frankly, I am a bit surprised that psychiatrist suggested Depakote, but of course I don't know your specific needs. As a peer, but one who does have bipolar disorder, I would think that softer meds, like Lamictal or Latuda, might be ones to ask about if a bipolar med is insisted upon, vs an antidepressant. Both focus on bipolar depression. Both have a far better side effect profile than Depakote, for many people.

When I took Depakote, I was also on an antipsychotic known for some weight gain. Given this it's not certain which was the greater weight gainer, but I suspect the Depakote. On that mix, I also gained over 30 lbs rapidly (5 or 6 months), reaching my highest weight ever and having my worst blood work results ever. When I switched to other bipolar meds I was able to lose all of that weight, plus more. After about 8 years, I have not reached that highest weight again. If a doctor suggests Depakote again in the future, I will say "Absolutely NOT!" It's among my most hated bipolar medications ever, and I have tried many.

Despite above, it is possible Depakote could be your magic med and not make you gain weight. Not everyone does. Also, I strongly do recommend you go to a psychiatrist over a gp for such a psych med. Many gps may not even be willing to prescribe it. Either way, I would hope you'd only need a small dose. I took a large dose.

Last edited by Soupe du jour; Mar 27, 2021 at 04:27 AM..
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
stahrgeyzer