View Single Post
splion

Member Since Jun 2016
2 hugs
given
Default Apr 03, 2021 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyDinosaur View Post
Yes, that makes sense. I can probably take medical leave, but still with ECT you have 1-2 treatments per week whereas TMS is up to 5 per week. From what I'm reading ECT also has higher success rates (in the order of 80%) whereas TMS only has success rates in the order of 30%.

I'm still leaning towards ECT because I feel like it's a better researched and more proven technique, even if it is more invasive. That is, unless someone knows of a very compelling reason not to do it and to go for TMS instead. A lot of the info about TMS seems to come from TMS-providers and it appears to be pretty biased (they selectively quote from the available research).

As far as I can find, hospitals in my area don't (yet) offer TMS, only ECT. So to get TMS you have to go to one of those private clinics, some of which seem pretty dodgy to me (i.e. I don't trust them). Also there's the matter of insurance coverage...

While ECT has the possibility of memory loss and cognitive issues, most reputable sources seem to say that it's mostly short-term memory loss (i.e. a few weeks/months before and after the treatment) and the cognitive issues resolve themselves within a few months after the treatment. If that's true, then I'm fine with those side effects. It's not like the past few months have been full of pleasant memories anyway, maybe I'd even be glad to be rid of those.
I work in medicine and our psychiatrists say that yes, ECT is more powerful than TMS. I have seen patients who got ECT 2-3x per week for 8-10 treatments, then cut back to once every other week and are maintained at once monthly, some every 6 weeks.
splion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote