View Single Post
Amandae8787

Member Since Jan 2020
45 hugs
given
Default Apr 06, 2021 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxanneToto View Post
It’s good that you’re taking on board what your therapist has said; coming to the realisation that you were emotionally neglected is pretty crucial to your healing - it’s also really good that you recognise when you’re repeating that (learned) behaviour and making a conscious effort to break the pattern. It’s not easy, as like you said, what your mum did was very subtle. Det var
I’ve had similar issues with my mum, too. I’ve come to realise my relationship with her is actually quite superficial in some ways, because I stopped sharing things with her unless I was desperate for her help, because I got the blame for things that, sometimes even quite obviously, weren’t my fault. I think I’m not really allowed my own feelings at home, either. I’m not allowed to be really angry, for example, at least not if it doesn’t relate to my dad’s alcoholism in some way. But as you’ve realised, feelings that aren’t expressed often just get internalised.
I do think it’s possible to heal, but it does take time, conscious effort and effective guidance.
sorry to hear you have similar experiences. My relationship with my mom today is also superficial... I never share anything really important. I was never allowed to be angry at home, I remember a burning feeling in my chest but I could never express it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrademoomoo View Post
I think this would be a really valuable fear to share with your therapist in order that you can explore what's going on for you now and simultaneously how it reflects your childhood fears. It sounds very much as if you are describing your feelings about your mother: if I am honest with her or if I assert my true self, will I be too much and so disagreeable that my mother will leave me? If my mother rejects me, I am alone and I am in danger. These are archetypal fears and ancient dreads.
I guess I should tell her... she knows that I’m having problems trusting her and that it’s very important for me to do so, but she doesn’t know how scared I am that she’s going to leave me. Like my mom always did, she left me alone with feelings I didn’t understand. But it feels so weird since I’m an adult now, shouldn’t my mind separate these things? I mean separate my feelings for my mom and for my T.
Amandae8787 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2