bharani1008
Veteran Member

Member Since Sep 2012
797 hugs
given
Default Apr 07, 2021 at 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrad15 View Post
Does anyone start feeling guilty or have a sense of regret after venting or telling someone about something that is upsetting you? Even if the reason was justified, you may start wishing you never vented or opened up at all. I tend to experience this anytime I open up to anyone in real life. It is also why I don't get emotional in front of others, since I start feeling guilty and regret my actions and even wonder what they think after it is all over.

If I ever get really annoyed or start feeling upset and I start talking about it with someone else, I always wish I didn't say anything later on. Not sure why, since when I do vent or open up about something, it is for a legitimate reason. Although I never get mad and yell, I don't make myself look like a fool especially in public. I just may walk away feeling that I said too much and worry that they may be thinking differently of me.

The rare times I may not feel guilty is when it is with a close friend, other than that, I always feel guilty even when there is a legitimate reason for it. I know there is nothing wrong with opening up or venting, but sometimes I wish I kept quiet after opening up about something. In a way, it causes a sense of embarrassment too. Another reason I don't open up much, even with close friends at times, is because there is really not much they can do.

If I feel like I need open up about something., I may intend to tell someone but then when it comes time to tell them, I'll think that it is pointless since there is nothing they can do about it and I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable or distance themselves. Another thing I may do is wait awhile before venting or opening up so the feelings aren't as raw. Do you have trouble opening up due to feelings of regret afterwards? Just wondered what you all thought.
I also feel badly most times if I open up or vent to someone. I mostly feel ashamed about it and vulnerable.

Thanks for this!
rdgrad15