underdog is here

Member Since Sep 2011
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 07, 2021 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
The thing today is that he recognized how some issues I've dealt with regarding him and our relationship have helped me with my outside life (like, I have similar concerns in my relationship with him that I do regarding friends and family). But he said he'd rather I leave him out of it if possible, to just skip that step in talking to him if I have a realization about something.

And in a way, I get that, but if talking about the step in between (involving him) helps me, then I don't see what's so bad, aside from his personal discomfort, about mentioning it in the process of talking about things. Do I really need to protect/take care of the therapist that much? Isn't that part of the point of paying them? For them to take care of their own stuff? Otherwise, how is it that much different from a friendship, except that I'm also paying for it?
Didn't this guy tell you he isn't psychodynamic in approach? Perhaps if you consult another one, look for that if it is what you think will work for you

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde
Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, susannahsays