Magnet

Member Since Jun 2017
15.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 08, 2021 at 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
I am fairly loose on cleaning stuff. I don't usually wash my cast iron even with water (there are a few rare exceptions) - I scrub with salt and reheat with oil. But every time cleaning cast iron comes up on some of my cooking forums - it is the biggest xxxx show. I am most amused by the hyper clean people who insist on soap - the soap insisters get all unhinged at everyone else - even though they are not eating from those skillets.

I finally told our last exchange student to stop using my cast iron pan (and provided an alternative pan) because he...well, his gf who came to cook for him every weekend...didn't clean mine properly even after I showed them how to clean and oil it.

I came home one day and they had used it and then scrubbed it into ruin. It has taken me a year to get it back to normal and I can still see scratch marks. I'm not even sure how they did that. But they stopped using it after that, so I guess they learned why I'd asked them not to use it.

Hugs from:
atisketatasket, SlumberKitty, unaluna