View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 08, 2021 at 10:20 AM

Hi Gabyunbound. Of course you're correct that people without bipolar disorder can experience great sadness, and what might seem like ultra happiness. However, there are two main differences between the depression and mild elation that people withOUT the disorder experience, and those with bipolar disorder (or other mental health disorder) experience. People without generally must have some major reason/cause for experiencing deep sadness and mild to moderate elation. Such causes could be major loss/grief, severe pain (physical or other emotional), or the like, for depression. Or a joyous occasion or experience that goes beyond the average (i.e. one's wedding, birth of a child, adventure in a beautiful place, extreme accomplishment, winning the lottery, etc.) People with bipolar disorder do not need such extreme triggers for episodes. Also, the elation a person experiences from bipolar disorder can be so far beyond the normal possibility, that it becomes dysfunctional and not understandable. Ditto for depression. In dysfunctional cases, therapy alone is usually not enough, as much as one would like it to be. This is particularly true in cases of full blown mania and severe depression. Or if no medication intervention is accepted, chances are great suffering or ramifications will occur, beyond the norm.

I agree there are times when psychiatrists look at understandable mood shifts as part of the illness, when they rather fall within normal realms. There's no reason one with bipolar disorder can't be understandably full of grief after, say, the death of a parent. That need not be labeled as bipolar depression, though sometimes it transitions into it. It is frustrating when normal happiness is labeled hypomania. Frankly, normal happiness (even great happiness) should likely never be labeled full blown mania, unless it truly morphs into extreme dysfunction. Believe me, full blown mania and severe depression are so extreme that they cannot be experienced by "non bipolar" folks, or if they are, such states are still dysfunctional enough to warrant major medical intervention. Or, perhaps they were caused by some kind of substance (i.e. cocaine, heroin), which alone is NOT normal.

There are people with bipolar disorder that are quick to forget severe episodes. That, in itself, is a dysfunctional tendency. Or if episodes were truly comparatively mild, it's possible therapy could be sufficient. I believe in the bipolar spectrum. We don't all have the same severity of illness. I can say that my illness has been quite severe, in the past. Severe! Though I do sometimes manage to tame my developing bipolar beast without major medication changes, I cannot keep it at bay, sufficiently, without any medications at all. Even if I managed to get through an episode without meds, the beast would come back again, and very often worse. I'm almost 50 years old now and can tell you it always did. Always, without fail. Again, perhaps others are luckier, but it's a real gamble. My nephew thought he could stop medications. He had a nice "honeymoon period" for a while, but then his illness came back with a vengeance, and he was gone very soon after...at 24 years old.

If you think your illness was truly a "one-off" or is not that severe, it's something you should discuss with your doctor. You have the right to be medication free, but if so, you must accept any consequences.

Last edited by Soupe du jour; Apr 08, 2021 at 10:33 AM..
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Gabyunbound, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, buddha1too, Gabyunbound