View Single Post
amandalouise
Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 15, 2021 at 11:21 AM

something my own therapists taught me... sometimes the best reaction is no reaction. I have a special needs child who sometimes cant regulate their own emotions and does have explosive anger. in therapy we were talking about my child and my own childhood. she noticed that when I talked about times I have gotten angry as an adult and child it wasnt the in kind reactions of others that made an impression on me. it was those few who did not react with anger that made the impressions on me that made me rethink how I was reacting and behaving and its what my child is doing. when you react to an angry situation you arte giving the child what they expect and want. you to be so angry at their explosion that you give in to what they want.

works the same way in therapy. if a therapist reacts to a clients anger with anger the thought is aha got her made her angry shes going to pay for what she said to me.

but when the therapist sits calmly, rationally, logically 1 the situation cant continue spiralling out of control and 2 this unexpected reaction to a clients anger makes a huge inpression on the client. (point that shows this for example is the original poster would not have posted about this if it hadnt made some sort of impression on them where they felt they needed to post about it.)

after they explained that to me I could count many times in my therapy where it was the calm and quiet reaction of my therapists that made an impression of some sort on me. and because I was no longer getting the expected response from them I stopped exploding anger over certain situations.

my suggestion is look at the fact that for some reason this therapists reaction has made you think , made an impression on you of some kind and how their doing that is going to change your exploding in therapy. now because its made such a big inpressioon on you , maybe next time your anger wont be so explosive. maybe you will be able to like I did sit calmly and talk the problems out instead of exploding.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote