View Single Post
Anonymous40506
Anonymous40506 has no updates. Edit

Frown Apr 19, 2021 at 05:46 PM

I've been dealing with health anxiety for 20+ years. Since my father died. He died at 54 and I'm now 54. I've been freaking out about that for about the last 10 years. There is nothing that would indicate that I would die at the same age. On the calendar I have lived more days than my father, but that's not something that gives me any relief. I don't know if getting to 55 will help, I hope I make it.

About 18 months ago, I made a promise to my pups to do whatever I could to give them a good life and be there on their final days. To be the last voice they heard and the last face they see. I owe them that. They have 4-5 more years, I think.

Since making that promise my anxiety has gone through the roof. I've even gone to the ER for what turned out to be a panic attack. It did motivate me to change some of my bad habits. I feel like I've only eaten twigs and berries during this time, giving up eating out almost entirely and buying better food at home. We take several walks per day and I try to get some exercise, though I've not been great at that. Over the last 6 months, I've increased my water intake and cut out caffeine as much as possible. It's a terrible life really, but at least it's healthier.

Over the last couple of months some minor things have come up, some that I've dealt with several times. Over the last 2 days, I've been dealing with some minor pain that has many probable and likely reasons, but I'm once again looking only at the worst case. As has become my way.

I spent several hours this afternoon writing up my story of why I have health anxiety. I also wrote about what staying anxious provides me, including the ability to avoid life or setting goals. It allows me to live small without excuses. It all helped a bit, because the reason why I feel the way I do is so obvious.

Has anyone successfully dealt with and overcome health anxiety? Or at least lessened its affect? Books or video recommendations would be welcome.

My sympathies with all who are dealing with this. It really sucks.

Last edited by Anonymous40506; Apr 19, 2021 at 06:06 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn, Yaowen

Thanks for this!
Breaking Dawn