View Single Post
RollercoasterLover

Member Since Apr 2021
58 hugs
given
Default Apr 21, 2021 at 01:22 PM

Anger mitigation techniques that worked for me.

1. Breaking things... take a trip to your local recycling center. Volunteer for a day. Break glass jars, stomp on aluminum cans, crush cardboard. Each break, each stomp, each crush say this is for that time (fill in the blank). This was an anger therapeutic activity suggested by my then T in my small town. It really helped me learn to express myself to myself. I got a few volunteer awards too which helped my self esteem.

2. Color therapy. My current T started me with coloring the same picture twice. Once by focusing and feeling my anger and once by controlling my breathing and focusing on things I enjoyed/liked. The anger ones were dark, ugly and sloppy. My "me" ones were colorful and pretty. This was done at first in my Ts office. Color therapy has become my favorite anger and anxiety reducing activity. My favorites are mandalas. I frame and name my creations and hang them on the wall. They help ground me if my ptsd is triggered.

3. Trying 1 new thing each day. Sometimes it was as simple as trying a new flavor or food, trying a new shampoo, etc. I found free samples were great for this. Also travel size things. I went to stores I never went to. Sat in parks I didn't know existed, I joined a meet up group. Played different versions of solitaire. Everything that was new was a step away from abused and broken me and a step toward the me I wanted to be. I found things I didn't like (I do not like ranch dressing or gain laundry detergent). I found things I love and keep them in my life (gardening and roasted asparagus tips come to mind). The point of it all is to discover myself.

4. I actively changed my environment. Besides coloring my own art, I painted walls, I switched furniture around, I replaced furniture if I could. I pained furniture I couldn't afford to replace, I sold things that were "ours" and replaced them with things that were "mine". Dishes, sheets, towels... I eventually replaced it all with things I liked. I'm still making environment adjustments. But the changes help to ground me and I can focus on them if I am triggered.

Some things are easier than others. A vision board was something my last and current T both suggested. I tried it and it just made me feel bad. So when my current T suggested it, I actually laughed. Told her no way and why. Thats when I started color therapy.

I hope you find what makes you feel happiness and joy.

Hugs from:
unaluna

Thanks for this!
Have Hope, RoxanneToto, unaluna