View Single Post
rdgrad15
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 25, 2021 at 10:54 AM

I've heard of the concept of depressive realism where mildly depressed people actually see things for how they are more realistically than those with moderate or severe depression, another mental illness, or those who have no illness at all and who are super optimistic. I've sometimes wondered if I have this myself since I always feel down a lot but at the same time, I see things more realistically, I recognize all points of view and expect nothing of a situation until proven so. Also my gut tends to be right a lot which has saved me from countless problems. And I've seen it in other people too. People who claim to be mildly depressed seem to see things in a more realistic perspective.

People with this mindset also see those who are super optimistic as being very naive and getting their hopes up too quickly. I am that way myself. When I go in for interviews or try to meet new people in a social setting, I don't expect a good outcome right away. I hope for a good outcome, but anticipate disappointment at the same time, recognizing that not every outcome will be positive. However with very optimistic people, I've seen them get their hopes up countless times, only to have them slashed and the sadness that follows appears to be more immense since they were so hopeful.

There is nothing wrong with being optimistic, but I do believe there is a fine line between realism and overly optimism. Being overly optimistic just comes off as naive and basically just setting yourself up for major disappointment. While being realistic lets you realize that the outcome of a situation, whether it's a social get together, interview, or anything else, may not go as one might hope. Being more realistic seems to lessen the blow of disappointment. In that case, if something doesn't go the way you wanted it, you will think, "Well, that is to be expected. It happens." The disappointment will still be there, just not as immense.

Do you believe in the concept that mildly depressed people are actually more realistic? I do believe this mindset helps with realistically judging a situation and knowing that a desired outcome may or may not happen. I've known several people with this mindset and honestly, looking back, they were actually right about a lot of things. And I still know people like that. Also they are also more likely to not be as affected by something going wrong since they already expect it. Meanwhile, those who are very optimistic appear to get hurt more and seems to affect them more too. There's nothing wrong with being hopeful, but I believe knowing that things may not go the way you hoped is better than assuming everything will go right only to have your hopes blasted out of the water.. Do you have a more realistic point of view? Just wondered what you thought.
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto, WastingAsparagus