View Single Post
WanderingCat

Member Since Jul 2019
15 hugs
given
Default Apr 29, 2021 at 10:34 AM

I think I was clean for about 3 years when I relapsed. What helped me was to acknowledge that it had happened and that is was not the end of the world. It was frustrating, but I did not make a big deal about it. It might now work for everyone, but it helped me to rationalize that all my hard work had not gone to waste because of one relapse.
I agree that talking with a therapist is a good idea. I also "forced" myself to reflect on why I did relapse, what were the emotions behind the act. It was painful, I cried a lot, but it was also useful.
You say you can't release your emotions: can you name those emotions? Why can't you let them out?
I struggled with anger, and I did not want to admit that even to myself since I kind of see anger as a negative emotion, which of course does not make sense, and I am working on it. Now I meditate everyday, I have made a calming bottle, I keep a diary and I have a playlist with songs that kind of allow me to feel that anger without hurting myself or other people. Of course that was just my experience, you might be struggling with a different emotion and you might find useful other methods.

WanderingCat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
SlumberKitty