given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 04, 2021 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
Definition:
1. poisonous.
"the dumping of toxic waste"
2. very harmful or unpleasant in a pervasive or insidious way.
"a toxic relationship"

You make a great point. People are not toxic. Behavior can be metaphorically toxic. It can be so detrimental, those around it feel ‘poisoned’. It’s become a trendy buzz term and it is hurtful to say a person is toxic. I think it’s better to focus on someone’s behavior being unhealthy, not the person themselves.
Thank you, Tisha!
It’s very unfair as you say, describing someone as toxic for several reasons.
One is that we are talking about persons. It sounds as if we’d carry something contagious. (I include myself because I’ve been called toxic). Boo! lol!
Two, because we all have one or another of these called as “toxic behaviours” so, we are gonna be “toxic” for someone else.
If we are all “toxic” in one sense or another, it doesn’t make sense to talk about the others, as distinguishing us from them. Are we, for any reason that escapes from my understanding, better than “the other”?
Three, we tend to share with people. So we give our opinions about others without noticing that we are the ones who are injecting poison against the other person. They will carry the label of abuser, narcissist, drunker...what about hypocrisy?

Mankind is complex: Make deserts blossom and lakes die. ( GIL SCOTT-HERSON)
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote