Alive99
Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2020
172 hugs
given
Default May 04, 2021 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZe View Post
That reminds me a whole lot of something that I once wrote... about "to-do" lists, of all things

Quote:
I don't normally use to-do lists. The exceptions are when I'm working on something complicated like preparing for a trip out of town, or when I seem to have taken on more than I'm going to be able to finish gracefully. The latter seemed to happen pretty regularly when I was in school.

It seems easy to get stuck with an overwhelming to-do list: I don't feel like tackling any of the three highest-priority items but it seems like a waste of time to work on any of the others while the top three are still demanding to be done. For me the best solution seems to be to give up: say the hell with the to-do list and my official priorities, and set to work on something that's somewhere around #7 if it's on the list at all. For some reason, with #7 out of the way #5 almost does itself and by then, #1 is looking a whole lot more approachable.

Thanks much, that was interesting. Yes I figured out I can't do rigid plans. The problem is it's hard to plan at all, whether rigid or adaptable plans, when your brain cops out on you and you can't put in the mental effort to think about it lol.

You mention "when I seem to have taken on more than I'm going to be able to finish gracefully"

Oh yeah that's part of the problem. I seemingly lost my ability to sense what's too much and what's not, so I just constantly end up with that issue too.

I think I like your idea, if I get to the point that I can think enough to create a list of 7 to-do items, then maybe I'll be able to use this trick.

In another thread of mine I just recently asked if anyone does something like, do simple "mental workouts" to warmup. Because I figured out my brain needs a LOT of that still. And your trick is one way to do it. I was thinking of simple mental exercises but this is another way. Just too advanced for now though. lol oh well

Like, creating a long to-do list beyond the routine stuff (dressing up, basic hygiene, a tiny little physical exercise, eating, whatever), it would overwhelm my brain even more for now lol, so to create it I somehow have to get around that...

This maybe sounds weird hm. Like... if I know I'm only going to do the simpler task as a warmup, then why should it overwhelm my brain as if it was a longer to-do list for real?

I am not sure about the issue there. Any input is welcome (from you or from anyone else).

Oh.

Thinking out loud more... it's because, if I was to start focusing on these smaller less important tasks, my brain is then forced to face the pressure from the big tasks and then unable to deal with it. If I do not start on any tasks requiring mental effort rather than pure routine actions (like dressing up or the little physical exercise), then my brain has an excuse to forget about the WHOLE to-do list, big tasks, small tasks, any of them.

So, the point of my warmup would first be to be able to face the task list in the first place. Then I can continue warming up with simpler tasks..... hmmm well
Alive99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote