Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,879 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 06, 2021 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive99 View Post
Thanks. That is interesting. I don't know what I am feeling when I get so tense. But I think it's a sense of terror/horror mostly.

What would qualify as freezing? The tension for me is because I hold it all in and try to keep control. Is the freezing about avoiding feeling the emotion? Because while I try to keep control like that - half intentional, half automatic - I definitely don't feel it properly.

Your therapist makes sense, my problem is though that I would first have to know what really happened before I can accept it.

When I'm able to figure it out in retrospect sometimes, then I'm better able to accept it yeah. But I have to figure it out first to know what it is I am accepting. If that makes sense.

...I think what I'd like is, be able to disengage before I even know what it is, because I know oh it's "just" a trigger/emotional flashback right? I don't need to know more in the moment, can figure out the rest later yeah?
Freezing is to tense up and go blank, be afraid, not act. There are responses to trauma; fight, flight, and freeze. I’m more fight/flight. You may be more freeze. If you can see it coming, and can avoid it, that would make you feel in more control of yourself. It’s an awful, helpless feeling getting triggered and falling in it.