Alive99
Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2020
172 hugs
given
Default May 06, 2021 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
Freezing is to tense up and go blank, be afraid, not act. There are responses to trauma; fight, flight, and freeze. I’m more fight/flight. You may be more freeze. If you can see it coming, and can avoid it, that would make you feel in more control of yourself. It’s an awful, helpless feeling getting triggered and falling in it.

Hm, yeah I hold back from feeling the emotions (terror/horror/whatever) so much that I don't actually feel afraid or helpless.

Do you think it's a strongly controlled freeze response then?

What makes me shocked thinking about this is that I originally was fine with fight until I was told I shouldn't do that because anger is inappropriate and blah. But ofcourse it would be an overreaction sometimes if I was to express anger or too much anger, but it was like I was disabling anger internally too. And that's just not okay by me. I've been working on undoing that.

So I mean I didn't originally mind acting. I just know that I do not want to act on triggers if I know they are just triggers. So if I am not seeing clearly about the stuff then I have two choices by default: fight or freeze.

And if I disable fight that means I hold back from action or from expression of anger or even from FEELING anger. And then I feel very tense in a crappy way like that.

It's just no good, oh well. I've been working on restoring my anger (without overdoing it btw). Because I think I still like fight more than freeze, unless I know the fighting would be seriously destructive because it's just such an overreaction in some cases, if the trigger/flashback is strong enough, very strong.

Anyway I don't expect you to comment on the above, you just helped me think.

But I'm interested in this: what is it like if you know IN ADVANCE that the trigger/flashback is coming and then you actually can avoid it?! I'm very interested in this.

PS: I also added a PS to my previous post lol but that was basically just saying, gotta be patient, while sorting out more of this stuff over time. lol sigh
Alive99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
TishaBuv