Member Since Dec 2017
3,628 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 08, 2021 at 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoey281 View Post
Hello,

I am new here and don;t know where to start. I have been separated form my husband for almost a year now. We have done counseling and I have given my all and tried everything, He has done so much damage and i feel like i have lost myself. He has been emotionally and verbally abusive for some time and it has had its effects. I am finding that I have so much anger and don;t know where to put it or do with it. I feel like one minute I am screaming and then the net minute I am crying. I feel like I am in so much pain it is awful . We have a three year old son and the last thing I ever wanted was for him to grow up in a divorce home. My mom suggested I join one of these groups so I thought I would try. Thanks for listening.
I am going through the same process; my husband has been emotionally and verbally abusive for the last 3 years. We've been separated since Nov. We got back together for 2 months early in the year, then I broke it off again because I knew he couldn't change. They very rarely can and do change and not without years of intensive therapy.

I, too, have a lot of anger that I don't know what to do with. Journaling hasn't helped me too much - only a little.

What I did do to help myself which has worked is I approached my local domestic violence center and got myself connected to an abuse counselor who speaks with me for one hour every week. She doesn't counsel me as a therapist would, but she offers support and strategies around how to manage the abuse, my pending divorce, and communications with my husband. I also attended a few sessions with an abuse survivors support group - it helped. I also reach out to my friends and family members who can support me through the divorce, and I have my own therapist as well.

My advice is to reach out for support and to develop a support network/system. We need a lot of support through an abusive situation and marriage, even long after the marriage has ended.

I hope you can find the resources and support you need - feel free to PM me.

~4 Non Blondes

Last edited by Have Hope; May 08, 2021 at 05:45 AM..
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote