Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,643 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 08, 2021 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
Yes, I remember one of the first psychology buzz words that became popular was ‘dysfunctional’. Did it mean people who don’t function? Families that don’t function like a family should? What does it even mean? My mom calls it psychobabble and people who are looking at themselves and others behaviors are (sorry guys) “looking up their own azzes!”
Yeah, it's interesting how many call what psychologists do, say and study as "psychobabble".

Psychologists are experts in human behavior. The DSM exists for a reason, and psychologists have the professional education to back up their theories, diagnoses and terminology.

Not saying this is YOUR mother, but I find that people who call it psychobabble are really just unaware and ignorant of the field of psychology and how theories are formed and based. They're based on scientific studies of human and animal behavior.

So the term "toxic" itself is widely used within the field of psychology, and so is the term, dysfunctional. "Dysfunctional" is used to describe the breaking down of expected and normal human behavior, human systems, governments, work environments, family dynamics, relationships, etc, also used within the field of psychology.

~4 Non Blondes

Last edited by Have Hope; May 08, 2021 at 06:54 AM..
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote