Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 08, 2021 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
There are times we choose to maintain a relationship with a person who is chronically negative and abusive. They would likely be diagnosed with a disorder by a professional, if they would seek help, which they wouldn’t, and don’t even want to hear there is anything amiss with them. But, if they are someone important enough to you that you choose to maintain contact anyway, we need to have compassion for them. They may be ill. While we can protect ourselves so they don’t get to damage us, we can do what we can to be there for them and be kind to them. You wouldn’t abandon someone because they are ill, you can have some compassion. As for people we can leave and not have to deal with anymore, of course, leave when you can if they do nothing good for you and are only harmful.
Yes! Good points

Sometimes we stay until the harm they do is more than we can continue tolerating or we learn better skills to handle the situation we choose to stay in. I know personally if I had stayed in my marriage I probably would not have chosen to survive staying (that would have been my choice) cause even with the skills I have learned I know living in that situation was not something I could tolerate even if I was the most compassionate person in the world. (Someone else may have been able to but not me)

Sadly he has run his life into the ground & is still messing me up financially even after divorce. Never figured that would be possible.

What I have found is that I stay clear of anyone who even on first meeting shows any similarities to what I lived with for too many years. Will be nice but definitely not allow into my own personal space. Probably a protective wall I build so I NEVER end up in that same place again.

We definitely make choices on who we allow to stay in our lives & how we handle the situations we find ourselves in.

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
TishaBuv, TunedOut

Thanks for this!
Open Eyes, TunedOut