autonoe

Member Since Apr 2018
28 hugs
given
Default May 08, 2021 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaowen View Post
Dear autonoe,

Your situation seems very similar to my own so my heart goes out to you. Intrusive neighbors is something I am plagued with.

I deal with intrusive neighbors by making excuses: "Can't talk, I have a migraine." "Sorry I am sick today." For those who intrude through text messages, I generally reply with . . . "Sorry, my carpal tunnel syndrome is acting up and I have a terrible headache." Stuff like that. I find this works with the neighbors I have. I realize that this is naughty because deceitful, but I feel preserving my mental health is a priority in my life. Nature's first law is self-defense.
Thank you so much, Yaowen. It is really difficult sometimes as an introverted person to stick up for yourself and your well-being while trying to keep the peace with people who may misinterpret your distance as rudeness or rejection. I have been through this my entire life, and it never changes.

Your ideas are helpful. I just need to get better at finding polite, but firm, ways to turn people down. My usual reaction is to avoid people and even hide, like I did yesterday. And then I get angry because I feel like I'm boxed into a corner. And that's on me. Being assertive is not my strong point. Thanks again for your input.
autonoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
zapatoes