Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 09, 2021 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
I’m not sure I agree. Knowing a person is “toxic” to me - basically poison to physical, mental, and/or emotional health - doesn’t make me a victim at all. It empowers me to make wise decisions to distance myself from that person for my own safety. It has absolutely the opposite effect to creating a victim mentality for me; it helps me make wise choices. That ability to make and hold healthy boundaries so that those individuals don’t continue to hold that power over me is perhaps the healthiest skill for living sanely and safely.

I don’t get into labels either, but I don’t see this so much about the label as it is in knowing that sometime there are people or environments that we have to separate from in order to be healthy.
I agree....it is IMPORTANT to know personally when a person or environment or situation is something we need to get out of. Labeling implies to me that the person "labeling" expects others to see it as toxic also where in reality the perception should only be a personal one.

The personal view of things is fascinating. Growing up when someone told me I couldn't do something, it pushed me to prove them wrong & I pushed myself to excel, not be a victim of their words. While other people I know, when someone told them they couldn't do something, they rolled over & believed every word they were told.

Individual personalities seem to determine how we respond to what we are told.

You are correct in that our personal reaction to a situation will make a difference whether to fight back in the best way possible or walk away....but whichever, not holding onto a victim mentality about whatever it is.

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Open Eyes, seesaw