Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,627 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 09, 2021 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
I’m not sure I agree. Knowing a person is “toxic” to me - basically poison to physical, mental, and/or emotional health - doesn’t make me a victim at all. It empowers me to make wise decisions to distance myself from that person for my own safety. It has absolutely the opposite effect to creating a victim mentality for me; it helps me make wise choices. That ability to make and hold healthy boundaries so that those individuals don’t continue to hold that power over me is perhaps the healthiest skill for living sanely and safely.

I don’t get into labels either, but I don’t see this so much about the label as it is in knowing that sometime there are people or environments that we have to separate from in order to be healthy.
@ArtleyWilkins, I completely agree with you on this. I also disagree that knowing someone is toxic to you creates a victim mentality. However, at the same time, people DO become victim to some people's more toxic behaviors and treatment, and IF the victim chooses to engage in it, it becomes a toxic dance that then plays out, whereby the one person is constantly victimized.

As you stated, one of the healthiest skills I think a person can develop is to learn how to exit from interactions with toxic people and/or extricate oneself from continuing the dance. It is for the health and well being of a person to do so, and I would say that is a survivalist mentality vs a victim mentality.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote