View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile May 12, 2021 at 04:13 PM

@whatever2013 I'm afraid I don't know enough about Psych med's in general to offer anything of any consequence with regard to this. The one thing I think I can say, based on my own experience, is that going on or off psych med's can be a challenging time because it's difficult to know what's causing what when out-of-the-ordinary feelings or experiences arise (if that makes any sense.) It just can be a confusing time. So, at least from my perspective, the less one does it and the more gradually one does it the better.

I've been on a bunch of different psych med's individually or in combination on-&-off over the years including a number of different antidepressants. But I never stayed on most of them long enough to really gain much of any perspective on them. The one antidepressant I was on for a longer period of time (over a year... memory fails me as to how long exactly) was Cymbalta / Duloxetine (first the name brand followed by the generic when it became available.) It was actually the best antidepressant (for me) I ever tried. And I only went off when I changed health insurers & the out-of-pocket cost even for the generic skyrocketed.

After that I was off all psych med's for several years. But about a year ago I went back on Clonazepam (I had taken it previously for a period of time) in part because it helps with the tinnitus I have, plus it helps with my anxiety & anger issues. (I'm only on 1.5 mg. per day though because, in older adults, there is a risk of falls as a result of taking Clonazepam.) I also currently take 25 mg. of Trazadone per night for sleep which has been a problem for me in the past. These two med's seem to be working adequately for me at the moment. And they have no impact on my weight.

@TishaBuv Yes, I would certainly agree that negative self talk could be at the heart of many eating issues. In a strange way, I think negative (or perhaps in my case conflicted) self talk is sort-of at the heart of my obsession with thinness. (I'd likely be even thinner than I am except that my spouse sees to it that doesn't happen.) But the thing is... I've waged a life-long struggle with my gender identity. And somehow, along the way, I convinced myself that the thinner I kept myself the less masculine I appeared (not that I really look all that masculine anyway.) But, as a result of the gender-identity conflict that still rages in my mind, even at my now advanced age, it's imperative to me that I not do anything that would cause me to gain weight and not even really be all that satisfied with the weight I'm currently at. It's kind-of a bizarre circumstance. But it's mine.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous41462, TishaBuv

Thanks for this!
TishaBuv