View Single Post
Mystical_Being

Member Since May 2017
922 hugs
given
Default May 25, 2021 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusPsyche View Post
I think, for some of us, real, deep, profound therapy can't happen without at least some attachment. If you want to frame it as a negative thing and call it transference, that's okay, but I don't think it needs to be negative unless it interferes with, or gets in the way of, the relationship between you and the therapist.

Don't spend any time beating yourself up for having feelings that you cannot control. It's wasted energy! You can only control what you do when those feelings arise. If you want to see them come around less often, the best thing to do is simply acknowledge that they're there, and let them be. Accept their right to exist, but don't feed them by worrying about them or wishing they'd go away or trying to think of opposite feelings or doing anything, really.

This is part of what's called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, or ACT. Maybe you'd find it helpful; maybe not. It helped me not to worry so much when I was terrified of how attached I had become to my therapist. (It helped with other things, too, but that's what is relevant to your topic.)

Anyway, you are definitely not alone in this!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I didn’t think of it that way, that deep therapy can only happen with some attachment. Its more helpful to think of it that way. I am def no stranger to attachment or transference, I have just had bad experiences with them. Which makes it hard to accept but at least I feel it will he different with this therapist.
Mystical_Being is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Breaking Dawn, LonesomeTonight, RoxanneToto, ScarletPimpernel, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Breaking Dawn, MobiusPsyche, RoxanneToto, ScarletPimpernel