View Single Post
Anonymous41462

Default Jun 01, 2021 at 03:47 AM

My phone appointment with my medical doctor went very well. We made a plan. He will refer me to a psychiatrist who hopefully specializes in Binge Eating Disorder (BED) and can treat bipolar as well. The psychiatrist may have resources for therapy (psychologists, groups, etc.) or there is a slight chance that they do therapy as well.

This is Canada tho so despite our reputation for good health care it will take six months to a year to get a psychiatrist. Until then i will do counselling with my medical doctor every two weeks.

We've decided to finish the benzo taper which is on hold at 9mg Valium until my hypomanic insomnia fades when Spring passes and then do a cautious withdrawal from Risperdal, which may well be the cause of my excess weight.

He said my 6.2 pound weight loss over six weeks is ACTUALLY GOOD! I'm so transfixed by my diet when i was 41 where i lost SEVEN pounds the first week, in one single week, then three pounds the next, i don't actually feel i'm doing well, but at this rate i will lose 52 pounds a year so looking at it that way, it's an improvement.

Slow-and-steady wins the race, he said.

A sustainable diet is sensible, he said.

Apparently, i'm doing all the right things, just using my common sense, but it was nice to hear it confirmed by a doctor. I even made him laugh at one point, we both laughed really hard. It was a special moment.

So it's nice to have a plan of attack for the future and i feel more relaxed knowing i will be getting some help. Truth be told, i am pretty sure that after six months to a year of counselling with my medical doctor, i probably won't need to see a psychiatrist -- my medical doctor is THAT good!!!

Hugs to all,

Jane.

Hugs from:
Deilla, Mountaindewed, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Mountaindewed, unaluna