Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2020
172 hugs
given
Default Jun 01, 2021 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2Wolves View Post
I don't dream anymore. Ever.

The last dream I had I woke up at 3 in the morning with The Night We Met playing so loudly in my head that I thought I had the radio on. I was waking up a lot at 3 in the morning during that time.

I have raging untreated mental illness and have no desire to get on meds because IDGAF and I'm not interested in helping myself. For what? Pff. No, thanks.

When I was a child, my dreams would be precognitive and got so disturbing at one point that I lost friends after telling one that someone in a red shirt was about to walk out of a class, and then did.

The most vivid dreams I've had in prison were of me dying from gunshots to the head. Three times I dreamed of it, but only remember one vaguely. I keep hearing that line from Mad World as I type this: I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad, the dreams in which I'm dying were the best I ever had.

I don't know what happened in your case but here's one possible reason, based on my experiences. When I developed cPTSD, I never noticed that I lost my ability to have normal dreams until they did start to come back. That was when I noticed that I lost them temporarily. And I just firmly believe that trauma (in my case cPTSD) results in extraordinary changes in the brain to help you adapt and survive. Part of the changes affect the memory system. As part of that change, is probably why dreams are affected too. Your whole way of processing information changes, including how memories work for you. I think it may help with survival much like other changes do, such as the changes in the automatic nervous system, changes to how your emotions work, and so on. Because if you were to just try and take in the whole madness (that caused the trauma) in one go, you'd not survive that. This way however, you get a chance to process things and survive and move forward in the end.

The emptiness in space you mention, could be part of that, too. I've had it too.
Alive99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Michael2Wolves