TunedOut has no updates.

3 yr Member
6,983 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 02, 2021 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous57777 View Post
Since kindergarten, I have been in the doghouse for talking to much. Wrote "I will not talk in class" sentences thousands of times in elementary school. Sometimes it helps me, sometimes it hurts me. My goal is to stick to more meaningful and purposeful conversations. The kind that encourage people or serve a useful purpose. And for my H--no repetition and less confusion. I have been working on this and improving but have a long way to go. According to this article:
Think Before You Speak
you should think this before speaking:
1. Do you actually have something to say?
2. Consider your audience.
3. Consider your purpose.
4. Are you being specific?
5. Think about the words you choose.
6. Are you making an assumption?
7. Are you aware of your body language and tone of voice.

I definitely need to follow these tips more consistently. Does anyone else at PC struggle in any of these areas?
This was a thread I started when I had a different username.

I still have days where I need to remind myself of these rules. It has been
helpful that I have been teaching an online ESL class for a while. I can go back and view previous classes and see my strengths and weaknesses. My strengths include varied intonation, high energy and a happy demeanor. My weaknesses include talking too much (ESL is about giving the student as much time as possible to talk and respond then just focusing on a few corrections because IMO, they will remember better if you just focus on a few pointers and not try to fix or help them understand everything that comes to mind), saying too many filler words (I have fixed most of this by watching previous classes) and looking at the camera (this one is more about being getting better in front of a camera). Also, it is always good to be in the moment so that you can pick up on the other person and respond in the moment. When I am in the flow, I am good at this but can occasionally have a day where I feel distracted though it is less likely to happen in the morning for me (hardly ever) because I usually wake up feeling positive. IMO sometimes our personal struggles can take us out of flow.

This is not about my ESL classes but I am learning not to share as much before considering how the person will respond. Sometimes it is better to say nothing at all; however, when it is important but you are not sure the advice will be well received, I like the tips in Dr. Grace Lee's video including her suggested buffers (and if they say its not OK to share, then I need to resist the urge to tell them anyways ):

5 Best Phrases to Express Your Opinions without Offending Anyone - YouTube
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
TishaBuv