Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 04, 2021 at 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

Studies have proven that IQ does not particularly measure levels of intelligence that we associate with genius. Many times it is measuring analysis and certain logic capabilities that may be the average person or even above average person doesn’t have. In fact tests like the SAT have now finally been given good reason to be studied as far as how little they actually represent the abilities and intelligence of the people and students who take them. Anytime anyone brags about their IQ I roll my eyes because if they are that obsessed with IQ numbers then I want them to without the proof that they took a legitimate IQ test. Google IQ test and thousands of results come up that seem legitimate and people will take them and get a number turned out by some algorithm and start talking about it to other people I’ve taken multiple IQ tests my scores have range to something a little above Forrest Gump to something entirely way too smart to actually represent who I am. I’m certainly not stupid but I definitely am not a genius. I feel like if I had the high IQ numbers that some of these tests have given me I would have been noticed at school more. I’m not sure what the legitimate tests and science behind an actual IQ test that measures an actual IQ appropriately is But I’m fairly certain that if you could find it on the Internet it would still be in the minority and it would be covered up and jumped up by all of the search results that say you can get a legitimate IQ result. I’m not even sure what an actual IQ result would give you as far as advantages in your life? When you go for a job interview even if it’s at a prestigious place of employment nobody is asking you to without your IQ scores. In fact unless you were doing something I would guess that is extremely involved or some thing very abstract I don’t see why they would care. I would love to have an example from somebody of where their actual IQ result mattered in there real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@sarahsweets IQ, not alone but in conjunction with other evaluations, could help and often is necessary to determine a diagnosis. No it’s not always accurate like people with ASD, variety of anxiety disorders etc for them results are often lower than their IQ actually is due to other factors. Or with multi lingual people. It’s tricky...

But you can’t really dismiss it completely.

Yes having high IQ can give people advantages in life: one comes in mind is that schooling is easier in general as well as ability to reason and think critically..

No, actual score won’t matter in employment because it’s not something employer would ask for. But having above average intelligence surely helps in employment. Actual score doesn’t matter unless you are seeking a diagnosis

SAT is not always a valid measure if anything as it’s often culturally biased (they try to remedy it now) but you can’t dismiss it or claim that it means nothing. Everyone I know with perfect or near perfect SAT score (composite and subtests) have above average ability (likely above average IQ if it was measured) and have great critical thinking and reasoning skills. People dont score high on SAT for no reason. I actually find SAT scores fairly accurate in measuring ability, in many many years of experience in find it to represent abilities fairly accurately. ACT not so much, it seems to measure knowledge more than ability
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote