View Single Post
Painterwithlight

Member Since Jun 2021
23 hugs
given
Default Jun 04, 2021 at 11:41 AM

Hi,
I have severe bipolar type I disorder. Been in weekly or biweekly therapy since I was first diagnosed 14 years ago. lots of issues combined, and therapy stabilizes me. Most people don't need nearly that long.
My first priority when paid has always been health insurance, before anything else. Meds.and therapy add up quick
Medical studies show that meds alone help with many disorders a lot, and talk therapy alone can be very helpful, but the powerhouse is both together. Both talk therapy and meds are much much better than just 1. Meds treat the underlying chemistry that is going haywire, and are extremely important. However for me, when stress builds up, that makes meds not work as good. If I do not handle stress and deal with the issues causing stress, then I am likely to go back to hospital even though on meds. Talk therapy and psychoanalysis are long term stress reducers. Long term coping mechanisms. Talk therapy increases ways to cope, and for me when I make progress sometimes. My meds can be lowered.
psychoanalysis can be disruptive sometimes, but gradually it can allow more stability long term. Good therapists move slowly, so it does not upend your life, but rather reach deep issues and teach coping skills.
Painterwithlight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
AliceKate