sarahsweets has no updates.

5 yr Member
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 05, 2021 at 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
@sarahsweets IQ, not alone but in conjunction with other evaluations, could help and often is necessary to determine a diagnosis. No it’s not always accurate like people with ASD, variety of anxiety disorders etc for them results are often lower than their IQ actually is due to other factors. Or with multi lingual people. It’s tricky...

But you can’t really dismiss it completely.

Yes having high IQ can give people advantages in life: one comes in mind is that schooling is easier in general as well as ability to reason and think critically..

No, actual score won’t matter in employment because it’s not something employer would ask for. But having above average intelligence surely helps in employment. Actual score doesn’t matter unless you are seeking a diagnosis

SAT is not always a valid measure if anything as it’s often culturally biased (they try to remedy it now) but you can’t dismiss it or claim that it means nothing. Everyone I know with perfect or near perfect SAT score (composite and subtests) have above average ability (likely above average IQ if it was measured) and have great critical thinking and reasoning skills. People dont score high on SAT for no reason. I actually find SAT scores fairly accurate in measuring ability, in many many years of experience in find it to represent abilities fairly accurately. ACT not so much, it seems to measure knowledge more than ability

I disagree. When it comes to ikioo my issue lies more with the various unregulated and unsupported tests that you can find everywhere and then people claim they are accurate. The official ones for instance the ones done by schools on my children I believe in. My son has a very high IQ. But he did average on his SATs. Which is another reason why I’m not dismissing necessarily but I don’t believe in them. Because he didn’t do so great yet he got into a very prestigious law school. He won every ward for his undergraduate and graduated with all kinds of things and awards. including top of his class. He interned with a congressional candidate and has a clerkship set up already. So if we’re going to go on SAT is being accurate how come he wasn’t so good yet everything else including extremely hard classes and grades and such were much better than anybody else? Inside he’s done so well with the school he got into is giving him $12,000 a year for no reason other than the fact that they really wanted him to except the invitation to attend. I don’t think I’ve had an official IQ test but I didn’t do great on my SATs at all. Yet I got my degree with a double major and a minor and I was always on the Dean’s list. So if you went on my basic reason SATs from high school and then assumed that was how I function in school I don’t see how they are accurate. Same thing with my husband he did not do well on his SATs. Yet he also double majored as a geologist. He worked for an environmental farm and didn’t like it. So then he apprenticed and now he is an electrician/teledata installer. Of course that was definitely more a career thing versus an education thing but I do know that involves extremely complex math. Also the company that exclusively provides the SATs ETS is very much in favor of not making any changes at all. I think it’s a monopoly. If one company exclusively offers a test, and they exclusively offer a prep course, and they exclusively offer the textbooks and materials that you need to succeed what does that tell you! In fact the company is 20 minutes away from me. My stepmother and Brother worked there for about five years. Granted they had nothing to do with the actual test making they did advertising however they do know some of the ins and outs and they agree with me. And why is it that so many colleges and universities are now not requiring the test? If it’s so accurate and reliable even though it was a little bit culturally biased why would these universities not want the test at all? They also are not requiring the ACT‘s. And I’m not saying someone who did extremely well on their SATs has a low IQ. Just like I’m not seeing somebody who did poorly has a low IQ. I’m just saying that particular test given in Napa check their way in my opinion is not accurate. In fact it’s been proven many times over that it is not accurate at all. One of your poor? You can’t afford the prep course. When I did badly the first time my mom enrolled me in the prep course. Do you know what that horse entailed? Tricks to get around the way the questions are asked. They are not straightforward questions. They could easily be straightforward complex math, and logic. But the whole idea of the course was to tell you when to pick letters ABC or D, whether it’s good to answer or not answer. How can a test be so reliable if you take a course in order to overcome the tricky questions that are purely made to trick you? I would think a prep course would focus on the materials regarding understanding things like math and English. I did extremely well near perfect score on English and terrible in math. My SAT scores allow me to get into some basic universities in my state. I had no aspirations for anything Ivy League or beyond will be surrounding me. I suppose if I had a major that was a little more exclusive or intense I would’ve been upset that my opportunities werent better. Some of the people I know that have extremely high nerve genius IQs do not talk about it. I find the people who reference their IQ score say it just for people to be impressed. And because you don’t have access to what IQ test they took how do you really know it was an official one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote