View Single Post
ElectricManatee
Magnate

Member Since May 2017
4,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 05, 2021 at 12:31 PM

When my T was the one hurting me, I took some time to see another T and figure it out (and heal the parts of me that were getting re-traumatized) before I went back to her. One thing that I took away from that experience was not only that my T is human and makes mistakes (which, duh, of course she does) but that she can also be wrong about whether something was a mistake and whether she handled it poorly. I trust her so much that it's hard to really believe that she can be wrong. Even wrong in a quiet, reflective moment when we're both trying to repair things. It doesn't mean that she's bad or untrustworthy or a failure as a therapist. It just means that she is maybe lacking in self-awareness about one particular thing and also very stubborn. It also sounds like maybe L got a little overwhelmed and defensive, so maybe she isn't taking care of herself well enough right now and you can give her a little grace for that. It doesn't make it okay for her to treat you in a way that feels bad to you, but it just is how it is right now.

I think sometimes we can get stuck in trying to repair things in a particular way or to feel a certain good feeling with somebody again right now that it becomes hard to get out of that rut. If you trust the foundation of the relationship, I think it's reasonable to believe that the two of you can move past this eventually. In the meantime, I hope you are able to focus on the basics of taking care of yourself and doing things to calm your nervous system because sometimes that's really all you can do until the storm passes.
ElectricManatee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, chihirochild, comrademoomoo, daisydid, Lemoncake, LonesomeTonight, RoxanneToto