View Single Post
WovenGalaxy
Magnate

Member Since Sep 2019
4,842 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 06, 2021 at 03:52 PM

I think you're doing the right thing by not responding. It is sometimes not safe to respond - as they are strangers, you don't know what you're up against or what more they could do. I also see it as the more mature thing to not give jerks the satisfaction of a response, including eye-rolling and making faces. So I feel that really, you have won. It just feels ******. And I really like that you're asking how to protect yourself more and cope when these things happen. 1.) I hope you know you're not alone. The world is FULL of weirdos and strangers who say weird things. It doesn't mean that most people aren't good people. But it does mean that you are not alone in having experienced this type of crap from strange men (or women). 2.) I like downandlonely's idea of distraction. Distracting yourself with an enjoyable activity, can make you feel better and when we feel better, it puts things in a better perspective for us. 3.) I love that your therapist asked you to visualize your safe place. I recommend following through with this - as many times as you want. 4.) Be kind to yourself. edit: Just thought of one more thing: 5.) Have you ever written a gratitude list of the things you've experienced in a day that have been good? Or written a list about the good experiences you have had with people (in a day, in a month, in a lifetime...)? It could help to neutralize those negative thoughts and feelings from remembering and ruminating on peoples hurtful actions.
WovenGalaxy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, MuseumGhost, RoxanneToto