Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2020
172 hugs
given
Default Jun 08, 2021 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshgirl View Post
Whereto52

That's a great word to describe those feelings. Very sad that we often adopt this attitude for self-preservation or it just manifests itself for a number of reasons.

There are so many contributing factors. How we are treated by others, usually negatively. It becomes a coping mechanism.

It's difficult to free yourself from the shackles. It can be like a comfort blanket, to avoid any more hurt. Or it's a hereditary state of mind, that manifests itself as we get older. Sometimes, as in my case, someone opens up your mind again. That's not without its problems. The suppressed emotions can take you to the other extreme.

Hope this makes sense!

Good stuff. This summary, I mean. Yes, the repressed emotions will take you to the other extreme after your mind gets opened up like that, if they had been repressed too long & the original issue is not solved yet either. Exactly what happened to me after ten years of the shutdown/anergic dysthymia with this emotional disconnect (and low energy and hypersomnia etc etc).

Can I ask, how did it happen for you that someone opened up your mind? What did they do/say? How did it happen overall? I would be very interested in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaowen View Post
Medication only partially helped me. I was helped a lot by reading self-help books by famous cognitive behavioral psychologists.

Can I ask which books these were? Thank you.
Alive99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote