Chat Leader

Member Since May 2014
2,312 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 08, 2021 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahgirl View Post
I seriously struggle when others give compliments to me; and Im not sure why. Though I know there’s self esteem issues I still struggle with this. My T has said he really would like to search out why I just can’t accept the simplest compliment; or encouragement. I have on occasion negated things he’s attempted to support me for and I think he’s puzzled by my rejection of my goodness.
Does anyone else struggle in this area?
Thanks. [emoji266] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I hear you and the struggle with compliments. I think self degradation is a bad habit we learn while growing up. It may be a result of being taught subtly that no matter how good we are we will never be good enough. The striving for perfection means we never get there.

When someone compliments me, I have in the past tried to push it away as if that would tear down the whole house of cards that says I must strive for perfection. In the end, I realized even perfection on my part would not gain what I was seeking from other people in my life.

I found many helpful articles googling Building Self Esteem. Hope you start going easy on yourself.

This video may be of interest Padraig O'Morain on Self-Compassion - YouTube
@CANDC

One thing I started practicing when I got compliments, I said
"Thank you for your kind words." It validated the other person and did not get me gloating over how good I was.

"Things Take Time"
CANDC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Cassoway, Fuzzybear, jeremiahgirl, RoxanneToto