View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,344 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 08, 2021 at 10:23 PM

Unpolar, you are a very clear thinker. You've done a great job of identifying and articulating what is going on with you. At your level of literacy, I'm surprised you are not on track to pursue some academic goal. It might make life more interesting for you. And you would do well.

How big is the bottle of vodka? At any size, I'ld say you easily qualify for a diagnosis of "Alcohol Use Disorder." (The medical profession no longer uses the term "alcoholic," at least not formally.) You seem to have concluded as much yourself. However, I don't expect you to feel motivated to stop doing something that makes you feel better. I totally believe that the vodka does that.

You are intelligent enough to recognize that this is not a good longterm plan for how to live a satisfying life. Your parents are never going to be a source of emotional support and validation to you. Your life, however, is much bigger than your relationship with the folks . . . or it can be. That's up to you. I'm glad you are out of the parental home. Great first step. Now you're going to have to build your own life.

I don't think "therapy" is going to fix much, but it might not hurt to give it a shot. You do need to commit to some undertaking, like an academic program or an employment situation. You are depressed, which makes everything harder. Still, you have to push past that and do stuff.

You're young enough that good decisions you make now can profoundly pay off down the road. Good luck.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote