Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2014
1,758 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 12, 2021 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Dawn View Post
Hi, AzulOscuro, I also have terrible social anxiety, including using the phone, especially calling authority figures (bank reps, utilities' reps, etc.). I use tricks like you mentioned, especially planning what to say, & writing it down & practicing before contact. Out & about with the outside world, I'm very quiet & reserved, but polite. Inside I'm feeling that I wish I could be invisible. Does this sound familiar to you?
In the same way as you, I do feel anxiety in any kind of social interaction but as now that I’m retired, I don’t have to face to many of them but I can’t get rid of taking action in the ones I have to do yes or yes, as the ones I referred to in the introducing post.

There’s something that I find particularly difficult when dealing with these kinds of errands and it’s when I have to ask people to do something for me (even when I pay for). For example, if I find hard to follow the steps on the computer to manage something, in order to do a procedure, I feel so bad having to ask for help or asking something in order to solve any doubt.
Many times these people are even there to solve your doubts and do this kind of work, however I feel as if I didn’t deserve people’s time or effort.
It’s curious because I don’t think twice to give a hand when I am asked for.
And lately, as doing these errands and procedures I have seen that most of cases, people are pretty to prone to offer their help as soon as you ask them.
So, that’s why I’m feeling proud of giving these steps lately. I’m like you, also a pretty polite person so I found very positive responses.

And yes, I kind of want to be unnoticed but sometimes, I also want to cope as a normal person and participate. I have two forces inside each one running in a different direction.

Thank you for your words and sharing about your experience.

Mankind is complex: Make deserts blossom and lakes die. ( GIL SCOTT-HERSON)
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn, cinnamonstick

Thanks for this!
Breaking Dawn