Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2014
1,758 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 12, 2021 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechu View Post
For me phone calls are challenging. Anything I can do by chat or e-mail instead of a call I do so. My husband spends a lot of work time on phone calls, whereas I don't, so sometimes if a call needs to be made about a bill or a product order, he asks if I can because he's burnt out by hours on the phone. My Spanish is fluent, but it still stresses me out. I don't know how I did my former job where I had to call people all over the Americas to ask for information. The worst thing is that both my first and last names are unusual, so I spend way too much time spelling it all out and then responding to questions about where I am from.

I did get this very nice woman a few weeks ago when I called about an order that didn't arrive. In that case I was more relaxed and I was able to straighten things out.

I understand completely, but don't have real suggestions. I just have to push through because I know that I need to resolve a problem.

In-person things don't usually bother me as much, except for the endless lines. It's been ages since I have gone in person to deal with the bank, government, etc. due to all the lockdowns.
I do understand you. Many people even the ones who are not shy, or suffer from social anxiety are not very fan of communicating through phone calls. I guess it’s partly because in face to face communication there’s plenty more information so there’s a bigger chance for a more efficient communication.

On another side, nowadays, I think it’s also preferred communication through e-mail or a chat app because even when lacking of the advantages of a more complete information with face to face communications, we have the advantage of an instant communication at any time and from anywhere.

I often do what your husband does but for different reasons. I always try my partner do the phone calls and all these procedures for me. He doesn’t have any problem with communicating with people through any mean. But, I understand that it’s not my best choice if I want to progress.

Hahahaha! Your Spanish is very good indeed, but I can guess how it’s even more difficult a conversation on the phone when you have to use a second language and you have to make them know exactly how to write surnames so strange for them. It must be a mess lol!
You are very brave.

If I’ve ever spoken to someone whose native tongue was English has been because my partner sometimes pushed me out of my comfort zone. I so hate it so much when he does this.
It’s curious the role that self-confidence plays. He only knows a few of isolated words in English however, he has enough confidence, strategies and imagination to make him be understood and maintain a communication with a person who speaks another language.

I don’t. I have to find the exact word, for the right context, with the most perfect pronunciation I can guess...if I don’t find the word I get blocked. Well...I mess.

Thank you, friend, for your insight!

Mankind is complex: Make deserts blossom and lakes die. ( GIL SCOTT-HERSON)
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn