Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,873 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 13, 2021 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulOscuro View Post
Emotions can’t be stopped. They simply occur. And they happen for a reason. Sometimes prepare our body to protect ourselves or as you, Tisha, mention, protect our kids.
The problem is when these emotions can’t be handled and happen in contexts where our lives are not at risk. They are there nonetheless to teach us something. Maybe when we have to face to a grief for the lost of somebody, maybe because we don’t find in the other the response we are waiting...whatever, the emotions belong to us. Noone is responsible of them. As long as they are not life-threatening.
So, I think the most intelligent things to do is to consider them limiting their role and think that we are much more than emotions. We have also a rational brain part and we must give it the possibility to play its role also. Why? Identifying little by little these emotions and feeling them but taking into account that they are there for a reason and that this is their role to appear as a red light but they are only a part of us. Many times they don’t have another aim than recalling us a trauma, a last bad experience. They don’t have necessarily to respond to a reality but a fear, a trauma, etc.

Tisha, you named DBT, I’ve never done it but I heard about it and from what I heard it’s very helpful dealing with emotions. Indeed many psychologists nowadays, use some techniques that may be considered very close to this therapy.
Are you seeing a therapist? If so, is (s)he familiarised with the techniques worked on DBT?
I see a therapist and he is teaching me to simply not react. He says to just feel those emotions, identify them, and let them pass. They are just emotions and they always do pass. This has been very hard to do when those emotions cause a panic fight/flight response. I am getting better at it. But— I still can’t get past what triggers me and overcome it. Though, I am getting better at not letting it get the best of me emotionally.

I learned about DBT from others on here. They say it is a course. I’ll have to look into doing it. Dialectical Behavior Training.

Hugs from:
AzulOscuro

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro