Veteran Member

Member Since May 2013
54 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 14, 2021 at 09:31 AM

Hi,

I have a pattern to something I do.

I'm not a kid anymore. I'm a husband and dad and am approaching middle age. I work with people a lot, and have a lot of successful professional relationships. I have people that have been in my life as friends for a long time.

My blood family really didn't look after me emotionally. I didn't realize until recently that I was not emotionally cared for. I went through family traumas and losses and no one ever talked or coached me through it. My blood family are good people but two things are true: they find excuses to be emotionally distant, and they never apologize.

This, I think, has left me emotionally immature. I seek immediate emotional validation and gratification from my wife and other people close to me. If I am slighted, I will speak up pretty quickly. I will point out the hurt and expect an apology. Honestly, my wife is similar in that she doesn't like to apologize. I end up acting like a petty fool, pointing out, and re-pointing out, and repointing out the slight or wrong, and expecting an apology.

The lack of validation makes me feel like I'm crazy. Then I end up saying "I'm not crazy!" Which really makes a person look crazy.

Right now I am posting this because I am trying to not confront my wife about something and this is my coping system for today.

Can anyone coach me on this one?

RDM
RDMercer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Alive99, Bill3, Discombobulated, Open Eyes, poshgirl, RoxanneToto, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Alive99, Bill3, Discombobulated