Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2020
172 hugs
given
Default Jun 16, 2021 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill3 View Post
Sure!

Okay let's say that you hear about an opportunity to go to a large food bank with many other people and help deliver food. You really want to do it, let's say, but you are blocked.

So instead you wonder if there is a very small way that you can involve yourself in food assistance. You then realize that you could bring three small items you already have at home, and can spare, in a bag to a local church that is a one-minute walk away. You see that as a small step toward your larger goal of helping with food assistance.

What would happen? Could you make that small delivery, of value in itself but also, you hope, as a small step towards bigger things?

OK I am going to try and translate this example to my everyday situations. So...I get stuck at,

"So instead you wonder if there is a very small way that you can involve yourself in food assistance. You then realize that you could bring three small items you already have at home, and can spare"

I mean this consists of a few steps:

1. Actually remember that I can try and find a small way (I forget a LOT of the time)
2. Believe that me finding a small way for now will help enough (be patient)
3. Believe that I can actually find a small way
4. Rev my mind up/put it into gear to find options (such as, finding these three small items), thanks to being able to believe these things, or being positive enough, having enough positive energy to rev it up or whatever?

I think I can sometimes do 1-2-3. I've practiced the 2nd step too a lot already.

But 4....Feels like a jump too much. Um, like yeah.... The very small jump I could do, but I can't really figure out what small jump/way to do because it's not natural to have to break things into these extremely small steps. No one does it like that normally. So there is no "instruction manual" on it either.

Or I'm just not sure how to apply this analogy in my everyday life.

But it is interesting that we are talking about this now because I realised this really recently. That I need the revving up to think of options like that to be adaptable again to situations and stuff. Needing to use positive energy for it. Because a lot of negative is hiding somewhere in my brain that gets in the way for that too. Um, yeah, after realising that, I've had a couple of moments where I was able to do it! Do this step 4, I mean. But I don't know how long it's gonna take before I can regularly do it. But I think I at least understand it more now

It's also because I've cleared out some more negative stuff from the bad past with those bad relationships. I've done more processing recently.

It does feel like being back to my old self, too. Being able to think up the options to take action and adapt to situations, life stuff.

TLDR: I like your idea, I just have an issue with the execution of it because it requires enough of my cognitive skills to be back & positive energy to be back (I lost a lot in cPTSD), to be able to think up these small things

Tbh that is why I am looking for external help. If they can give me a bit of positive energy then I can get moving for a while. On my own, I would have to take a long time to clear out the negative first before I can generate the positivity

There was a scientific experiment too, it was great: going from loss to gain (negative to positive) requires energy.

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn

Thanks for this!
Bill3